Friday, February 18, 2011

Charlotte Apple Pie

It is Friday morning and Sunday Brunch is fast approaching. Brunch is my favorite meal as it is an occasion all by itself and puts me in a cheery mood. If you go out with a family, it always creates a festive atmosphere with lots of laughter and food sharing…with an occasional glass of champagne ; )
I want to introduce a simple dish that my grandma and, probably, my great grandma used to make – it can count as a brunch dessert or a cozy winter breakfast that can be enjoyed with a cup of hot tea or cold milk. I will call it “Childhood morning awakening”…just kidding – I will call it Charlotte Pie, as it was originally a French recipe that worked its way firmly into my family's cooking heritage.

Charlotte Pie
 Ingredients:
     ·      4 large apple (I like Granny Smith)
·      3 large eggs
·      1 cup flour
·      1 cup sugar
·      2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the apples into small square pieces. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar and melted butter.  Gradually mix in flour to avoid separation and clumping from forming. Once you have an even mixture of almost-dough substance but thin enough to flow, take your cooking dish. It can be a regular pie baking dish or, as in my case, silicone muffin tins for miniature Charlottes. Make sure to butter the surface up to prevent the dough from sticking to it when ready. Place all the apples on the bottom of the dish and pour the dough mixture over until fully covered with only a few apple pieces sticking out. Put into the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until an even golden tan crust is formed. 


Enjoy your sweet morning awakening!
P.S. I have heard that you can replace the apples with any other kind of fruit or berries but I am yet to try that. Until I do, I am sticking with the way of tradition!  

No comments: